Tuesday, December 15, 2009

This is the one where I defend Ezra Klein......

I was going to write a polemic screed on the perfidy, peevishness, and lack of probity of Sen. Joe Liebermen (I-Conn).

But instead of the ulcer that would cause me, I decided to post something in support Ezra Klein of the Washington Post. The young Klein has done a yeoman's work on the health care debate. It is hard to quantify the substantive contribution he has made. For that alone he is worth reading and earned a spot on my blog roll call.

But it is, his most recent post on Sen. Lieberman that has gained my respect. Young though he is, he has shown more gumption then most of his colleagues at the Post.

And for that he is being savaged. I will point out that not a single one of Ezra's points has been refuted. But I do not have to. Ezra does a handy defense of himself here.

At this point you may be asking yourself why defend Klein? Well he did a couple things here, attacked the egotistical motives of a powerful individual and put the issue in stark terms that rarely ever gets done in the liberal commentariat, but more then that he shows the lack of moral rectitude the Senator possess.

This is nothing new mind you. These things have been know about Sen. Lieberman for sometime, as Jonathan Chait points out.

But I think John Cole over at Ballon Juice has the right of it. These individuals now have the knives out for him. He has done good work, and showed the mendacity of a callow individual with many friends and such a great grievance versus "teh libruls" that all he thinks of is satisfying that pique even at the cost of his fellow Americans.

So yeah these are the sort of people who are responsible for our social well being. I do not care who runs against Joe. I will toss 50 bucks to whoever it is. Though I doubt he will. He has made a permanent enemy of many on the left. Count me as one of those.

-Cheers

No comments: