Tuesday, August 18, 2009

That is a Coincidence...

Interesting article in the Times about anti-aging research.

Some thought provoking stuff in there. But because of my interest in population levels. I found this line a fair bit more then interesting,
In caloric restriction, mice are kept on a diet that is healthy but has 30 percent fewer calories than a normal diet. The mice live 30 or 40 percent longer than usual with the only evident penalty being that they are less fertile.
Now there are a lot of moving parts here, and anyone with even a passing familiarity with Daniel Quinn's writings might guess where my thinking is going on this.

So I will not bore you with the massive exposition on the subject I will simply state, what to me is obvious. Of course they are less fertile, they have less raw material to be fertile with!

-Cheers

2 comments:

Bradley said...

Brilliant post! I actually read an article not too long ago about someone being over 100 years old and they claimed that their secret was not eating too much. I think there is definitely something to be said for this "finding"

RomanX said...

Well, I was more fascinated with the notion of diet effecting fertility rates.

But the increased longevity would be swell too.