Friday, January 9, 2009

Brief respite...

Before I plunge back in to the various ills that are plaguing my mind, I thought it might be nice to take a step back and talk about something different for a bit.

During the holidays I always get a little bit nostalgic, thinking about the past, how the year has gone and what is to come in the new year. Same as most people I would suspect.

However this year, I spent some time thinking about, "what I would do if I could do anything?".

Now, since I am involved, I am intentionally avoiding any super hero related activity.

So with that out of the way, I always wanted to be a writer.

Funny I know, specially for someone who can not hold on to a narrative to save their life! I didn't even want to be that good at it really. Just being one of those guys who banged out those dime store westerns, or a good hard boiled detective story, would have been plenty. Books like Remo Williams, or Mike Hammer, or some good old fashioned pulp novels about Tarzan or Doc Savage, sort of like toss away romance novels, but with dames, broads and internal monologues.

That always just seemed kind of fun to me.

But I guess what I really always wanted to do was to write a fantasy novel. More then likely it would be a lengthy series involving a paladin, as the main character.

So what would you do if you could do anything?

-cheers

9 comments:

tyler said...

i always wanted to be a travel journalist. or a photographer. or a travel photojournalist.

i think if you're ever going to write that novel you're going to have to get your commas, under control.

RomanX said...

Hell, no. I love commas, and run on sentences, fragments, and what not. Besides that is what editors are for!

Eclectic Bride-Wife-Mom said...

I would be a writer/image consultant. I think I'd be good at that. Then I could take time to write out those league rules we're always debating.

Brad said...

Astronaut. But then you knew that. Still working at it. Enough said.

Kim said...

Something with animals. I don't really have a more specific answer than that. Maybe a dog trainer? That'd be fun.

Barring that, I think I'd like to be a shrink or a social worker type. I've always been more about helping people.

Anonymous said...

Ever since I was a very young child, I had always wanted to be an astronaut. My hopes were dashed at the age of 12 when I realized that I did not have 20/20 vision, which, back then, excluded you from the program. Then the space shuttle came out and they changed the *@$!!# rules... Who knew ?

Tracy said...

I would be a singer...if I didn't have such a mad case of stage fright...I would totally do it...

Teach said...

I first aspired to be a nun, then a lawyer, followed by a basketball player, then a spanish teacher, and well, here I am a teacher.

But, if I had to do it over again, I'd go into something related to sports--personal trainer (provided I could miraculously get buff without doing anything)OR a chef...not that I have any mad culinary skills now, but I'd learn.

Amy said...

AndyS stole my first answer except I was 10 when my vision went. After that, I decided I wanted to become a lawyer, work to get into public office, and eventually become a senator, or maybe even President. (Senator Rund, isn't that a scary thought?!)

But if I had talent and could actually write and play music, that is what I would do. So I write lyrics and maybe someday I'll show them to someone.