Monday, January 26, 2009

Social Coteries

So I have an evolving idea. I would like to start a group.

A group that gets together once a week or so. The main purpose of this group is to discuss things.

Sort of like a book club, but over a wide array of topics. Everyone has a hobby horse, everyone has interests. The idea is to create an environment where those things can be shared, discussed and fostered.

Have thoughts on the pros and cons of nuclear power? Bring it to the group, roll over the various merits.

Think we should have a more vegan tilt to our agriculture/consumer base? Bring on the hummus discussions!

Like haberdashery? Well you are going to have explain this.

Basically any topic that comes to mind would be on the table, from amateur oenophiles to articles in Redbook.

With roving locations and what not. The Pig, coffee shops and even a dinner a two would all be appropriate venues. So drinking isn't the main impetus, the open exchange of ideas.

Maybe even something a bit more structured, topics submitted in advance and questions solicited, venues picked.

So those are some of the ideas I was mulling over.

9 comments:

tyler said...

sounds like fun. if topics were announced beforehand it would give people a chance to at least read the wikipedia article.

RomanX said...

Yeah some sort of calender or some such would be good. Also list of invitees....

tyler said...

why do i get the feeling that it would just be you and me, and we could just call it "a normal day ending in y."

i guess going to a coffee shop instead makes it sorta different.

RomanX said...

It's all about the location my friend!

Amy said...

Can we discuss food? I like talking about that too... that is, if I am an invitee.

Dr. X-Tina said...

I'd be up for anything even remotely intellectually stimulating; I think I'm losing brain cells some days at internship.

RomanX said...

As I said all topics are open. And the guest list is probably fairly open as well. We will just pick a place and go to it. I suspect the first such meeting will be fairly haphazard. Maybe I could just toss up a blog post with a date and time and topic?

But definitely need to come up with some sort of structure for peeps to submit topics.

tyler said...

in the old days, when people used to actually talk to one another, they used to have such groups as you propose here. i do believe they would meet and discuss topics, then agree upon future topics face to face.

seems like the simplest answer.

RomanX said...

Excellent point. So I guess picking a day would be a good starting point and perhaps a venue, and opening topic.