Thursday, September 10, 2009

Presidential Speech on Health Care Reform

I will be honest, I am finding it hard to comment on the substance of what the president said last night mainly do to the unctuous behavior of the republican caucus last night. That is truly sad because there were some noteworthy subjects talked about during the speech. But, that being said, I do not think I have seen a more uncivil, peevish bunch, revel in their perceived sanctimony then last night.

Say what you will about the right and the left, being equivalent in their ridiculousness. That is just not the case. It is hard to overstate the levels to which the GOP has sunk. Imagine what would have happened if Dennis Kucinich had made catcalls during President Bushes remarks? He would have been labeled a terrorist, treason charges would have been bandied about and the like.

Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC), is a ignorant know-nothing. He evidently can not read a bill. I hope, nay, it is my most fervent desire that Speaker of the House Pelosi absolutely censure his prevaricating ass.

Now on to the speech it self. I thought it was a good speech. The president showed some fire, and most of his information seemed to match up with independent analysis of the health care debate. If there was one thing that stood out the most to me though, was that this speech was as full-throated a defense of liberalism as I have seen in the public square.

In particular this bit toward the end grabbed my attention.
You see, our predecessors understood that government could not, and should not, solve every problem. They understood that there are instances when the gains in security from government action are not worth the added constraints on our freedom. But they also understood that the danger of too much government is matched by the perils of too little; that without the leavening hand of wise policy, markets can crash, monopolies can stifle competition, and the vulnerable can be exploited. And they knew that when any government measure, no matter how carefully crafted or beneficial, is subject to scorn; when any efforts to help people in need are attacked as un-American; when facts and reason are thrown overboard and only timidity passes for wisdom, and we can no longer even engage in a civil conversation with each other over the things that truly matter - that at that point we don't merely lose our capacity to solve big challenges. We lose something essential about ourselves.

What was true then remains true today. I understand how difficult this health care debate has been. I know that many in this country are deeply skeptical that government is looking out for them. I understand that the politically safe move would be to kick the can further down the road - to defer reform one more year, or one more election, or one more term.

But that's not what the moment calls for. That's not what we came here to do. We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it. I still believe we can act even when it's hard. I still believe we can replace acrimony with civility, and gridlock with progress. I still believe we can do great things, and that here and now we will meet history's test.

Because that is who we are.
This has been a long time in coming. Government intervention is not always a bad thing. Sometimes, it is an effective corrective. Reaganism as an ideology leads to bad government. It needs to be given the long kiss goodnight it has deserved for over a decade.

But that is a different argument.

If you have not I do highly recommend tracking down the speech it is worth a watch. If I get a version I will link it here.

-Cheers

No comments: