Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stimulus and You.....

Over the last couple weeks I have become a tad frustrated with the conversation concerning the Stimulus Package currently being debated on capital I had prepared this extremely detailed diatribe on how much it irked me. It was chalk full of hyper-links, graphs, charts and quotes from respected economists.

When I was done it weighed in at about 7 single spaced Word pages, so I figured that was a bit much. So instead I threw all that away and decided on something more concise.

Here is are a few example of what set me off.

Poor and slanted coverage.

Uninformed people people making comments that lack historical or logical relevance.


After listening to this for almost a week, I almost broke my keyboard.

I do not think that every part of this bill is good. I have argued for the inclusion of more infrastructure spending and less in the way of tax cuts (maybe pushed more to to payroll tax breaks instead). But it is better then the alternative of doing nothing.

Now I wrote what I thought was the best and most rousing defense that punctuation and narrative challenged chemist could come up with for why quick passage of this Stimulus Bill is necessary, but I found it wanting. So instead I will turn it over to Dr. Paul Krugman and President Obama.


Both are worth listening to. Also here is the actual bill and a good break down. Educate yourself, so you don't sound like an idiot.

Yes there are some questionable parts of the bill. Bu there always is. No matter how good a bill is, something will be put in there that someone somewhere does not agree with.

So I must concur with the president, "We must make the perfect the enemy of the essential."

On a separate note, I also have a lot of issues with the notion of "bipartisanship" for the sake of bipartisanship. It takes two to accomplish that. The President mad the effort and the Republican caucus has rebuffed him on that. Also it seems that the definition of that word has changed. Republicans in the house and senate seem to believe that it means capitulation with their demands. It most definitely does not.

As I have said before, and I suspect I will say again. If you are not being sensible, you do not get a say. I came across the perfect analogy (found the quote!):
I really don’t understand how bipartisanship is ever going to work when one of the parties is insane. Imagine trying to negotiate an agreement on dinner plans with your date, and you suggest Italian and she states her preference would be a meal of tire rims and anthrax.


-Cheers

No comments: