Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Outrage pegged....

Now I honestly thought we had seen the worst, as far as trivializing politics and the presidency this campaign cycle. But to be truthful, I did not think we would get to this point. I had hoped that McCain did still have some of that honor left. But I was wrong. When you blatantly lie, and then accuse your opponent of wanting to teach sex-ed to kindergarteners you have no honor left.

That is one of the most heinous ads I have ever seen. I rank it up there with the "Willie Horton" and Harold Ford "Call Me" ad. The republican strategy is "lie, lie, and lie more", and hope the American people are stupid enough to fall for it. They are, and they should be ashamed of it (the American people and the McCain for exploiting). I seriously challenge any conservative to defend these sorts of actions. This is the sort of country you wish to live in? Where we reward this sort of behavior? Where blatant lying is rewarded with the presidency? Where governance isn't discussed, because of a perverse attachment to ideology that refuses to allow any engagement with opposition except for derision or self-righteous belief that anyone who disagrees with them is somehow morally inferior. Yes after 8 years of conservative governing philosophy, we are all doing so well?

So yeah, I am tired of this. I am tired of the mendacity and out right prevarication. But most importantly I am tired of it working. That people fall for this, shows the true measure of our collective character. What we need is a new way of thinking, yet people are settling for the same old tired rhetoric and culture war bullshit. You tired of the mean old "elitist" looking down on you? Stop being a dumb ass. Democrats are coming to take your money. Republicans do not "shrink" the government, and your religion is not right with regards to how laws should be meted out.

3 comments:

Dr. X-Tina said...

I know they won't say it, so I will - Maybe there should've been some sex ed in the Alaska school system!! WOW that is pretty outrageous.

Ed said...

I agree that this is a shameless and dishonorable warping of fact for political means. However, I checked the IL senate records for 1993. As far as I can tell, that bill did include verbiage with guidance on "wholesome and comprehensive" sex education for K-12 students (it appears it was changed from 6-12 to K-12) and Obama did pass it. Certainly, the phrasing was taken out of context to suit their wants. The bill was well intentioned and I generally agree with it and I don't think Obama is "wrong on education". I guess I'm failing to see how this is so much more heinous than all the other out-of-context political ad mud slinging. P.S. I can tell you were striking the keys extra hard on this one.

RomanX said...

Well it involves a blatant misstatement with children, like mentioned in the post, think Willie Horton. It is designed to elicit the most visceral of feelings. On top of that, it involves a willful misreading of the bill. And if it bad for Obama to support it...then I guess the Cub Scouts are in trouble too? http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_09/014641.php