Sunday, July 13, 2008

Alea iacta est

After some prompting and prodding from friends, I finally caved and decided to inflict my commentary on the "interwebs", I am sure, to many sighs of relief from friends and loved ones!


So here we have it, my inaugural post on my very own inaugural blog. So many things to discuss, so many events to cover, where do we even begin?


I guess the first thing to do would be to define the point of this little blogging exercise, correct? Well I am having none of that. This is a place to bloviate and to engage in my most base pretentious qualities! It will probably range around wildly, and at various points make little or no sense. But if I must state something I would state this: when you enter the Rubicon prepare for a healthy dose of condescension, thinly veiled arrogance, diatribes, polemic screeds, and maybe if we all are lucky the occassional rousing discussion.

In closing this first post, it would be prudent of me to issue some blanket apologies. I am no professional writer or journalist, so I apologize for my mangling of the English language and it's grammatical rules. Expect participles to dangle, my conjugates to be incomplete and my tenses both past and future to be imperfect.


Also as much as I would love to cite every quote that might appear in my musings, I am certain that I will not be able too. So to the scribes, filmmakers, poets, and other individuals who are more gifted then I in the arts and critical thinking I offer my humblest regrets that you were the unlucky group which has influenced my thought process. I will try to police it but some of your ideas are so ingrained I don't even notice that I didn't originally come up with them! So I apologize for abusing your works! And will endeavor to give credit where it is due!


In particular (in no particular order), Daniel Quinn, Warren Ellis, Steve Benen, Glenn Greenwald, the gifted contributors at Salon, Huffington Post, Talking Points Memo, Descarte, Bertrand Russell, Kant, Kafka, Fiztgerald, Hunter S. Thompson, Kurt Vonnegut, and many others in ways both small and large. Thank you and I am deeply sorry.


And finally to my friends and family I apologize to you all for having to listen to me during all those ramblings.


Well, with that all out of the way grab your smarty pants, your dictionaries, and a tall glass of self-recrimination and lets get this train going.


The die is cast!* And yeah I know, that was an extremely long “in closing” statement. Get used to it.





* For those whose Latin is not what it should be!


-cheers

No comments: