Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dear Roman......

Okay it seems we have received a few questions/comments on a previous post so I thought I would single a couple of those out for additional comment:

Brad said,
Ok, I don't mind the formal short and heels look for women. I agree that a nice summer dress or skirt looks great however, when it comes to most women and their wardrobe, items that have multidimensionality, like formal shorts, a classic t-shirt or tank-top, or a pair of jeans, are a major plus.
"Multidimensionality", seriously? Good God man! We aren't talking Einstein-Rosen bridges here! But to your point, you are actually conflating what guys think are good clothing choices and what a girl thinks. Don't think so? Get dressed and then ask your wife what she thinks about what you are wearing. Let me know how that goes for you. Write this down, guys tend to dress for function. Gals tend to dress for cuteness. That is why heels exist; to extract every ounce of cuteness there is there is to be had. Have you ever worn a corset? Let me tell you that thing serves not one purpose but to simulate "perkiness" or as an improvised neck warming device. Other then that completely useless!

Kim said,
Along those same lines, dudes in capri pants. WTF?

Indeed, "WTF", is appropriate. Back in my day they were called "Jams"and they weren't appropriate then, nor are they now. However, some nice cross colors would be sweet!

and finally

Teach said,
1.) You suggest that "there is a skirt out there for every body type and shape!", so what are your recommendations?

2.) Your opinion of the "dressy" shorts is clear, what about the longer knee length shorts (ie. the ones I wore to the Crack Monkey game Sunday?)

1) Well my first rule is simple, it should be something you feel comfortable in. If you are constantly pulling it down or fidgeting with it you are not comfortable. There is just a certain confidence you get from looking good and feeling like you look good. Worrying about whether your bum is showing gets in the way of that. The second main rule, is it should be something you can run in. You never know when you might need to flee a pack of rabid goats so keep that in mind.

Outside of that, it is pretty standard, pick a color that is complimentary to your skin tone. Pair it with a cowl neck shirt or possibly a buttoned down shirt and a nice vest (since it is still summer time), a nice pair of cute shoes and you are off. Remember show as much leg as you are comfortable with, shorter is most definitely, not always better. If you are going for a "slinky-sexy" effect, generally a longer more fitted skirt is the way to go. Recently I have been won over by the high-waisted skirt. It gives a very sophisticated look, fine for business events, but also works for a night out on the town. Express seems to carry a nice selection of them.

2) This question is a dangerous one. I know many ladies think these are just snazzy. I could take them or leave them, though. If we are talking about the longer formal shorts then I say have at them if you wish. The problem is they don't look good on everyone, yet everyone wants to wear them. So your mileage will vary.

But in reference to your specific question, I thought your shorts looked just fine. If you had showed up in heels though....there would have been a reckoning....


Well that's all for this installment, keep those questions coming. And Mike, assless chaps are always a "No".


*One small political note. Paris Hilton finally responds to the celebrity add. And sadly she sounds more reasonable then Senator McCain:


edit-I just couldn't resist pointing out the money quote of the ad, "I'll see you at the debates....bitches.!"

8 comments:

Brad said...

I think my statement still stands; that women tend to purchase items that can be worn with multiple outfits, thereby making their wardrobe have as close to infinite possibilities as possible. This is only speculation of course, but I think this is because women believe that other women remember what they wore not just last week or last month, but last year.

On the political note, it's too bad that Paris Hilton isn't 36 or else I might have to waste my vote by writing her in. As an interesting topic, has anyone but me heard of anyone else voting for a write in candidate. My mom voted for my dad one year and the only reason she hasn't done it again is that she's afraid the FBI might get curious who "this unknown write-in candidate is and who voted for him."

RomanX said...

Actually write-ins aren't all that uncommon. They happen virtually every cycle. There are a couple states where that individual even won....but it is rare...

Kim said...

Jams? Really? *facedesk*

I also saw a girl wearing leggings with stirrups the other day. With flip flops.

And, as I was bemoaning to Mariah yesterday, when did flannel come back into style? I was running errands in the middle of the day. It was 90 degrees. And there were no fewer than ten people wearing flannel shirts out.

RomanX said...

I suspect the flannel resurgence is in no small amount due the energy crunch, people are try to store all the static electricity they can to run their hybrids!

Teach said...

NOw are you knocking hybrid owners? Uh oh! :)

RomanX said...

Well hybrids use electricity. Flannels are extra staticy! So made the easy joke! But to be completely honest I think I was manly knocking flannel wears....

\

Brad said...

All this talk of fashion; bah humbug! When are going to talk about Einstein-Rosen bridges and traveling to new worlds and new civilizations, to boldly go...

RomanX said...

Evidently the post above it is just for you. Make sure to put down a tarp or something to catch the brain bits!