Monday, August 4, 2008

Explanations.....

It seems I have been spending a fair amount of time on politics of late. My apologies! I will not be going cold turkey this week, but interestingly enough last week provided me with an interesting nexus between the world of politics and fashion! So here we go!

From time to time....I get asked, "Hey Roman what are these "Formal shorts" and why do you hate them so?" Well dear reader here is pictorial evidence of that which I speak!


That's right. I hate them because Paris Hilton wears them.

Ok, that is not the only reason. My real problem is one of elegance. Heels, when they are worn make women look more elegant. Check that, women who can actually walk and move in heels look more elegant! They give the legs a certain symmetry and almost force good posture. Shorts with them cheapens that. What exactly is wrong with pairing those heels with a nice skirt? Or perhaps a nice summer dress? I mean, there is a certain logic to Paris and Brit-Brit wearing formal shorts, because they......uhhh...have a...uhhh..problem with misplacing their undergarments. So there is that. Now most of the girls I know happen to have at least a modicum of modesty, the undergarment omission isn't really an issue for them. Added to that, most of them even have very nice legs, so I could see the temptation of the evil formal shorts! "I can wear my cute heels and not have some skeezy guy looking up my skirt at my Hello Kitty knickers! Awesome!" It's not that I don't have sympathy for my ovarian enhanced sisters out there, but lets face it even if you were wearing a burlap sack with just arm and leg holes some skeezy guy would still be trying to sneak a peak at your lady parts!

Anyway, my fear is that, much like the how baseball caps, have destroyed hats for men, I suspect that formal shorts will be the end of skirts. I like skirts, they are snazzy and far more customizable then shorts are. There is a skirt out there for every body type and shape! Formal shorts are for those who wish to show as much skin as humanly possible and still have pockets.

And lets face it do you really want to wear something that Paris Hilton has championed?

On a general note, we are going try something new for this post and this week. To foster some discussion and to fuel my postings I am going to solicit questions in the comment section and via e-mail. For the next couple of days the topic du jour is fashion, so please pass along your sartorial conundrums and we shall see if we can get you some answers. If I get enough questions I will probably roll that into a post on the subject.

-cheers

8 comments:

Ed said...

Discuss... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/31/fashion/31shorts.html

Brad said...

Ok, I don't mind the formal short and heels look for women. I agree that a nice summer dress or skirt looks great however, when it comes to most women and their wardrobe, items that have multidimensionality, like formal shorts, a classic t-shirt or tank-top, or a pair of jeans, are a major plus.
As for the article listed above, I believe that shorts and anything but sandals or tennis shoes (with ankle socks or no socks) is a fashion faux pas for men. Yes, even the loafers don't work for me.
This is simply my opinion on the matter of course.

RomanX said...

Hmm...that article is disturbing....that may require it's own post. Not happy about that in the least....no suit jackets with shorts unless you are 8 years old...or a member of AC/DC....

tyler said...

dammit, ed beat me to it.

Kim said...

Along those same lines, dudes in capri pants. WTF?

Teach said...

I'm not sure what is more comical to me today, the string of CrackMonkey emails or the fashion debate between men.

Teach said...

On to my questions:

1.) You suggest that "there is a skirt out there for every body type and shape!", so what are your recommendations?

2.) Your opinion of the "dressy" shorts is clear, what about the longer knee length shorts (ie. the ones I wore to the Crack Monkey game Sunday?)

RomanX said...

And what pray tell is so wrong with men discussing fashion!??!??